Jan 17, 2020

We left Punta Lobos at 9 am and continued on the dirt roads, south along the coast. The roads were slightly better as we were closer to civilization. Some spots were smooth enough to hit 30 mph, so it felt like a freeway. We had about 30 miles of dirt until we hit pavement near the town of Santa Rosalillita. This was a fishing village of maybe 80-100 buildings. We wanted to get gas, but the gas was 100 pesos/gallon (about $5.32 USD). So we passed on the gas there and continued down the paved highway to Villa Jesus Maria and filled our gas tank with $4/gallon.

We crossed the border into the state of Baja California Sur (south), just north of Guerrero Negro. We also got cell phone reception so Eva called her dad and the kids. We arrived in Guerrero Negro about 1 pm and found a hotel/campground. The rest of the group stayed in rooms, but we camped behind the hotel in their campground, which was just a parking lot.

After checking into the campground, we started our quest to find the a bolt to fix our brake. There are a lot of auto parts stores, but no one had that bolt, or anything close. We drove back and forth along the main road, as each store would send us another place. We must have stopped at 5-6 different places. Finally we found a shop, Chepe’s Auto Repair, who could make a new bolt out of another hardened bolt. But it wouldn’t be done until tomorrow. I had to pull a bolt out of the other brake caliper so he knew what to make, so we were now driving with 2 bad brakes. Eva became an expert on talking about brake repair in Spanish. She did a great job.

It was getting dark, but we went to the SuperMarcardo to buy some groceries. The store was a cross between a small Costco and a supermarket. They had a lot of food available so we stocked up. We also bought 5 gallons of water to fill up our water tank. Later in the evening, we met with the group for dinner in the hotel restaurant. Eva and I had eaten our lunch so late, we just had chips and guacamole.

Jan 18, 2020

Eva and I got up early so we could get to work on fixing the brakes. At 9 am we drove to Chepe’s shop, and after a few minutes he produced the new bolt. It was pretty close to what we needed. The non-threaded shoulder was a little longer than what we needed, but I think it will work. We paid $400 pesos ($21 usd) for the bolt and $300 pesos ($15 usd) for a tube of loctite to glue the bolt in place, so it will not come out again. It was a little expensive to have the bold machined, but it was our only option. It was probably the same cost of buying it from a Ford dealership.

We took the bolt back to the campground, where there was concrete to work on, and I put everything back together. It feel good to have two good front brakes again.

We didn’t leave the campground until about 10:30 am. We drove further south on highway 1. We topped off the gas tanks in Vizcaino, and turned west, off highway 1, to the road that will take us to Bahia Tortuga and Bahia Asunción. The road was pretty new and in good condition, so we were able to drive pretty fast.

The town of Bahia Tortuga was big enough for a couple of gas stations and store, but all the roads were dirt and narrow. We drove through town and the locals stared at our large caravan of vehicles.

Bahia Tortuga

After driving through town we backtracked and drove down a dirt road to the beach to find a place to camp. A few miles out of town we found a remote beach on Bahia Clambrey. Every beach we have stopped at has been different. This beach is very flat and has fine hard dark sand. There is very little debris on the beach. Pretty much no shells or rocks. It is so flat that the tide moves the water line at least 150 ft. Later in the evening, Eva and I walked about 1.25 miles up the beach to where the cliffs were. By the time we walked back it was pitch dark, but the beach was so flat, that we walked without worrying about tripping on anything. Once we got back to camp and ate dinner, everyone was tired, so there was no campfire.

Jan 19, 2020

Today was a down day at Bahia Clambrey. We didn’t get out of bed until 8 am and we just hung around the beach and camp for the day. In the morning we did start a fire and everyone burned their trash. Eva and I read books and even took a siesta in the afternoon, just like real Mexicans. Later that evening we had a campfire.

Leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: